It may be a tad unfair, but it seems to be a commonly accepted fact in our modern society that a smile can only be regarded as the ‘real deal’ if all the pearly whites are present and correct.
So where does that leave us if you're missing a tooth – or perhaps a couple of teeth?
Well, thankfully, help is at hand – and not necessarily in the form of dentures, which would have been recommended in the past.
That answer, of course, takes the form of dental implants, which is literally transforming the smiles of thousands of ordinary people in Ireland each year.
This is very definitely not some fancy treatment reserved for film stars or people in the public eye. The treatment is very affordable, and even more so if you decide to pay for it over three, six or nine months with our 0% Dental Finance Plan.
What is a dental implant?
Before we go on to talk about the process and the benefits, let’s explain in simple terms what a dental implant really is. Think of it as a very minor construction project inside your mouth. Your dentist wants to fix an artificial tooth in place, but it obviously can’t be ‘stuck’ directly into your bone due to the shape of the tooth.
So where does this leave your dentist? Well, quite simply, he needs to insert a tiny ‘stake’ into your bone – and this is actually the implant element. This provides the rigidity and the strength needed to hold the new tooth in place.
Once the dental implant is placed, he then puts the tooth sitting on top of this, and it’s held firmly in place thanks to a special dental cement that he uses.
This cement is pliable, at first, but once it has set, it forms a bond that simply won't be broken by any of the demands that you’ll place on your new tooth, from eating to talking to chewing on a toffee etc.
Why are implants better than dentures?
- Dentures may have been prone to slipping or moving, but you’ll experience no such problems with implants.
- Our patients tell us that they enjoy a greater level of social confidence with implants.
- You clean your implants at the same time as you clean your teeth – so there’s no need to take them out – like dentures – to clean them.
- Your dentist can shape and colour your new implant to look exactly like your other teeth, so nobody will ‘spot the difference’ unless you choose to tell them you're wearing an implant.
- Denture wearers were often wary of biting into certain foods – such as an apple – but there’s no such worry with implant as they’ll withstand pretty much every demand you make of them.
- Teeth implants prices have come down to a huge extent as the process is now much more common. Here at MyDental, our dentists carry out hundreds of such procedures every single month.
A word of warning about cheap dental implants
We know that cheap dental implants are often advertised abroad. The claimed savings can be very tempting, but we’d urge caution in this regard.
First of all, the real financial cost can be much higher than advertised when you factor in all the travel and accommodation costs.
More importantly, however, there are some absolute horror stories out there in terms of the results achieved – and the lack of proper after-care service.
The following article on the Irish dental Assocation’s website is well worth reading before making a decision in this regard –